Monday, April 6, 2009

Welcome to Lijiang

9:30 my guide Jieqiong and my driver Leun picked me up at the hotel. Till 2:00 Jieqiong had a tough program for me for Dali area. In Xishou we visited a farmer´s market. From an old lady I got a nice copy of a book with Chinese characters and drawings offered. Jieqiong warned me not to start to bargain. Well I payed to much, but what was worse, the other old ladies didn´t give up to offer me other things till we left the market. "Well I told you, you will be in trouble."
After a show with the 3 tea ceremony the Bai Minority usually welcomed guests and dances we stopped for lunch in a restaurant where we sat in the yard. Sorry Jieqiong, but the picture of our lunch did not turn out fine. You enjoyed to eat with me since I share the food from the plates with chopsticks just like the Chinese do.
Good bye Jieqiong, but I am on the way to Lijiang. Do not forget will cook Chinese dishes together when you are married and will have a big house, children and big kitchen.
Mr. Leung drove me carefully and safe to Lijiang. He honked whenever he saw a pedestrian or bicyclist or a vague situation with an other car. That means, hey I saw you, but please make sure you see me too and be carefully with me. This way both pay attention and give the right of we to each other. In case of accident both are guilty after Chinese law. That makes both care for each other no matter who has the right of way.
On the way to Lijiang I saw wheat fields and fields with beans already harvested and closer to Lijiang the fields were still green, since Lijiang is at the hight of 2400 meters. But there it was sunny and above 20 °C today.
On the way to Lijiang I had the feeling not to be in a foreign country anymore, although I do not speak the language. I start to understand the thinking and way of living of the Chinese people. And I admire the beauty of that part of Yunnan where I am right now. All the people I met so far were so friendly to me and gave me a warm welcome.Thanks!
My new guide Lili showed me the Lijiang Dayan ancient town and we climbed up Lion Hill and Wangulou Pavillon on top. The marvelous view over the old town you see in the second picture. The third picture shows a picturesque place at one of the seven creeks running through the old town. There I had dinner with Lili.
The Jiannanchun Hotel in the center of old town is just like heaven, full of flowers, nice yards for peaceful rest and wonderful architecture.
Lijiang is protected as world heritage by Unesco, now I understand why.

No comments:

Post a Comment