Tuesday, April 7, 2009

up to yak meadow

I just return to my room from a nice dinner, dumplings with hot sauce and beef, mushrooms and green beans chopped into small pieces. I sat in the open air next to the creek watching the fish.
The morning started with sunshine and it stayed like this all day long. In the first picture you see the Dragon Snow Mountain heading the new town of Lijiang. The new town of Lijiang was destroyed in 1996 by earthquake and rebuilt with 4 floor buildings in general. The old town was not destroyed much, since it is built mostly of wood.
I have to correct myself. The Snow Mountain has many peaks with 13 above 5000 meter. Well we did not get up that high, but 3400 meter is enough for me. That´s about the hight of Shangri-La my next place.
The driver stopped at a parking place, where "Disneyland" started. Leun waited at the parking place for 4 hours and I proceeded with Lily. We skipped the drum show and took the shuttle bus uphill for half an hour. I saw Azaleas and yellow primula (Schlüsselblumen) which I have in my garden, too. Besides the grass was brown from the snow. From the bus stop we took a lift up to the yak meadow. Where we only could walk on wooden paths just like in Yellowstone National Park.
The view was fantastic as well as the air. I just walked a little slower. Halfway we had a break and I enjoyed the coffee I brought from the hotel in my thermos.
We stopped in Yuhu village to have lunch there. This time I insisted, that the driver shares lunch with us.
Yuhu is a Naxi Minority village. People live there with own primary school where kids learn Mandarin Chinese as well as Naxi language. We could see the farm life, buildings under construction, busy people and nice houses, all with a yard. In J.F. Rock´s house is a museum showing the pictures he took around 1930 to document the life of the Naxi people. A very old man was watching the pictures, too. It seemed he knew some people on the pictures.
Lily let me try Spirulina, a natural nutrition food locally made from plants in a lake near by. I asked my nephew and expert Christian about Spirulina by mail and he answered right away with a long essay about Spirulina and how to find out if it is natural. Well Lily will buy it for me to make sure it is natural and i am not cheated. The one I tried from her just fulfills all the criteria for natural one Christian told me. The prize is one fourth of the prize in Germany.
Have to get up early tomorrow morning to leave for the Tiger Leaping Gorge of Yangtse River. I will hike down together with Lily and up for about two hours. Lily is tough since she eats Spirulina three times a day. Then I will proceed with Leun to Shangri-La and Lily takes the bus back ti Lijiang to manage her next group from Taiwan.

No comments:

Post a Comment